Ten Top Tips For Eating Healthily
<< Previous Page
- With alcohol, the best advice is to avoid it as much as you can. If you do want to have a drink, stick with the governments guidelines of no more than 3 - 4 units a day for men and no more than 2 - 3 for women. A unit is one small 125ml glass of 8% alcohol by volume wine, half a pint of standard strength lager or bitter or a single shot of spirits.
- It's worth remembering that cappuccinos and lattes are mostly milk. Think about how many you usually drink a day and try to have no more than one. They can soon add up. An ordinary coffee or tea with a splash of milk, water or herbal teas are good alternatives.
- Try where you can to have five servings of fruits and vegetables a day. These include fresh, frozen, canned and dried fruits and vegetables. A portion is around 80g of the fresh, frozen or canned and about a handful (one heaped tablespoon) of dried versions of fruits.
- If you feel peckish between meals, nuts make a good snack but make sure you stick to a handful (about 30g). If you have a whole, 100g bag you will be eating a lot of calories (around 600), which is more than we need in a between meal snack.
- Swap standard fizzy and sugary drinks for diet versions or water.